Environmental Health and Safety

Food and Recreational Licensing  The Registered Sanitarian and the Health Officer enforce Sanitation regulations.  The South Milwaukee Health Department is an agent for the State of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection and has the authority to license and inspect retail food establishments, swimming pools, hotels, rooming houses, taverns, and restaurants.

The Environmental Health Consortium is part of the Southeast Wisconsin Food Safety Task Force created to improve the health of the community through prevention and food safety education.  Check out the first ever newsletter for more information!

Recalls For information about food safety in licensed establishments and in the home, as well as up-to-date recall information for food products, visit www.foodsafety.gov

Human Health & Nuisance Complaints The Health Department will investigate Concerns on public/private property regarding unsanitary conditions, potential harborage of rodents, etc.  The Registered Sanitarian will investigate complaints from citizens regarding blight caused by a human health hazard or nuisance.  Orders to correct conditions will be issued to the property owners that are in violation of the City’s Municipal Ordinances.  If these conditions are not corrected, a citation may be issued.  Click here to download a citizen complaint form.

Bed Bugs The Health Department will investigate complaints regarding bed bugs. Click here to download a complaint form. Click here for more information on identifying and treating bed bug infestations. Bed bug infestations cross all socio-economic boundaries, with infestations found in world class hotels and lower income housing.

Lead  The Health Department will investigate concerns regarding lead hazards. Click the highlighted link for information and regulations concerning lead.

Mold  The Health Department will provide education and resources on how to address mold concerns. Click on the highlighted link for information on mold as well as procedures for mold clean up.

Per the Wisconsin Department of Health Service
•The solution to controlling mold is moisture control.
•If residents cannot find the moisture source, it is recommended to have a professional home inspection.  Because most moisture issues are a result of a structural or plumbing problem, the health department will not investigate mold complaints
•Testing for mold is not recommended.  Regulatory or health-based standards for human exposure to mold do not exist.



Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is released in rock, soil and underground water.  It comes from the decay of uranium in the earth.  Radon gas is odorless and invisible.  Radon is a serious health risk.  It is the second leading cause of lung cancer.  The good news is that there are test kits available and if found in your home, it can be reduced easily and cost-effectively. Take action today.  Contact the South Milwaukee Health Department for more information, or to obtain your test kit for a small fee.

Wisconsin supports a hotline that can direct you to your local Radon Information Center or a radon expert at 1-888 LOW RADON (1-888-569-7236).  Here is a link to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Website.  More information is also available at the EPA website link.

Rabies Control Under Wisconsin state law, the local Health Officer shall require any dog or cat that bites a person to be quarantined for 10 days so that it can be observed for signs of Rabies.  During the 10-day quarantine period, the dog or cat will need to be examined by a licensed veterinarian on the 1st day, the 10th day, and one intervening day of the quarantine period.  If the animal is not current on its rabies vaccine, it will need to be quarantined at a licensed facility at the owner’s expense. Click here to view or print an informational brochure.

MADACC (Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission) was established in 1996 by 19 municipalities in Milwaukee County including South Milwaukee.  MADACC provides animal control services for our city and much more including low cost vaccines and spay/neuter.  Check out their website at http://www.madacc.org for more information.

Reminder: Dogs and Cats are required to be licensed annually.  In order to license your dog or cat, it must be vaccinated against rabies. Click here for information on dog or cat licensing, anddog visit http://www.madacc.org for information on rabies vaccination.


To locate a lost animal please visit the MADACC lost and found page located here.

Dangerous Dogs / Vicious Dogs  Any person who wants to petition the City of South Milwaukee because they believe that a dangerous dog or vicious dog is residing in the city and therefore is in violation of local ordinance 23.20 may do so by completing, in full, the dangerous/vicious dog sworn statement.

Beach Monitoring Beach testing at Grant Park Beach is conducted between the months of June and September.  The water is tested for high levels of the E.Coli bacteria and the beach is posted for swimming appropriately.  The results of the testing can also be found at the beach website: www.wibeaches.us

Flood Disasters For general information on flood readiness, clean-up, hazards, etc., click here. For tips for food establishments opening after a flood, click here.