Food and Recreational Licensing
The Registered Sanitarian and the Health Officer enforce sanitation regulations.  The South Milwaukee Health Department is an agent for the State of Wisconsin Department of Health Services and Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection and has the authority to license and inspect retail food establishments, swimming pools, hotels, rooming houses, taverns, and restaurants.

For information about food safety in licensed establishments and in the home, as well as up-to-date recall information for food products, visit

Human Health & Nuisance Complaints
The Health Department will investigate Concerns on public/private property regarding unsanitary conditions, potential harborage of rodents, etc.  The Registered Sanitarian will investigate complaints from citizens regarding blight caused by a human health hazard or nuisance.  Orders to correct conditions will be issued to the property owners that are in violation of the City’s Municipal Ordinances.  If these conditions are not corrected, a citation may be issued. Click here to download a citizen complaint form.

Bed Bugs
The Registered Sanitarian will investigate complaints regarding bed bugs. Click here to download a complaint form. Click here for more information on identifying and treating bed bug infestations. Bed bug infestations cross all socio-economic boundaries, with infestations found in world class hotels and lower income housing.

Lead and Mold
The Health Department will investigate concerns regarding lead hazards and excessive mold growth. A mold complaint form can be downloaded here. Click the highlighted links for information on regulations concerning lead or mold, as well as procedures for mold cleanup and lead abatement.

Rabies Control
Under Wisconsin state law, the local Health Officer shall require any dog or cat that bites a person to be quarantined for 10 days so that it can be observed for signs of rabies.  During the 10-day quarantine period, the dog or cat will need to be examined by a licensed veterinarian on the 1st day, the 10th day, and one intervening day of the quarantine period.  If the animal is not current on its rabies vaccine, it will need to be quarantined at a licensed facility at the owner’s expense. Click here to view or print an informational brochure.

Reminder: Dogs and Cats are required to be licensed annually.  In order to license your dog or cat, it must be vaccinated against rabies. Click here for information on dog or cat licensing, and visit information on rabies vaccination.

Beach Monitoring
Beach testing at Grant Park Beach is conducted between the months of June and September.  The water is tested for high levels of the E.Coli bacteria and the beach is posted for swimming appropriately.  The results of the testing can also be found at the beach website:

Flood Disasters
For general information on flood readiness, clean-up, hazards, etc., click here. For tips for food establishments opening after a flood, click here.