929 Marshall Court
South Milwaukee, WI 53172
Emergency Phone Number: 911
Non Emergency: (414) 768-8191
Fax: (414) 768-8193
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
To visit the South Milwaukee Fire Department’s website, please click here.
We want you and your family to be safe from the threat of fire in your home. Please place and maintain a working smoke detector on every level of your home and also near sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide detectors are also required in most one and two family dwellings, regardless of the buildings age. Alarms must be installed in the basement and on each floor. For more information on these requirements, please contact the Fire Department at 414-768-8191. Please protect your family! Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive life insurance!
Portable Outdoor Fire Pits
During the summer months, many residents enjoy the beautiful weather with an outdoor fire. These fires can be a serious danger to you and surrounding neighbors if basic safety is overlooked. The City of South Milwaukee has an outdoor burning ordinance that must be followed. Some of the basic parameters are listed below.
- Manufactured fire pit appliances must have a screen and cover in place during operation
- Fires must be 25 feet from any building or combustible structure and/or combustible exposure (buildings, trees, shrubbery)
- Fires are not allowed on balconies or under building overhangs
- Use only clean, dry wood with a minimum 1 inch diameter (this and paper allowed for ignition)
- Flammable/combustible liquids are not allowed to ignite any fires
- Fires are not allowed if winds exceed 10 mph
- Hours for fires are limited to 7:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
- All fires must be supervised by an adult at all times
- Proper means to extinguish the fire must be available during operation
A detailed copy of the city burning ordinance can be obtained by viewing the fire department website www.smfdwi.org/open-burning
Remember, the South Milwaukee Fire Department is staffed 24 hours a day. Use 911 to request our service if you are experiencing a fire or medical emergency!