Saturday, April 27, 2019, Earth Day • More information here.
- Community-wide clean-up – 9:00 a.m. to Noon, with lunch to follow for all volunteers at the Grobschmidt Senior Center. Sign up and pick-up supplies at the following locations: South Milwaukee City Hall, 2424 15th Avenue, 16th and Rawson Avenues, Oak Creek Parkway and North Chicago, and at the South Milwaukee Fire Department.
- Shredding – 9:00 a.m. – Noon. City Hall parking lot. Sponsored by South Milwaukee Lions Club
- Electronic Recycling – 9:00 a.m. – Noon · Any electronic item with a plug! (Except TV’s and old CRT monitors, these will not be accepted at City Hall.) TV’s and CRT monitors may be disposed of at the Self-Deposit Station, 1106 Blake Ave. ($3.00 Daily User Fee will be waived only on April 27th for TV drop-off) by a $5.00 disposal fee does apply for EACH TV or CRT monitor along with a onetime donation of five (5) cans of non-perishable foods for South Milwaukee Human Concerns, Inc. Sponsored by CASTRO Recycling
- Take Back Day Prescriptions · 9:00 a.m. – Noon, Grobschmidt Senior Center parking lot and Noon – 2:00 p.m. at the Police Department, southwest side entrance door #4. Controlled and non-controlled over-the-counter medications, ointments, patches, non-aerosol sprays, inhalers, creams, vials, and pet medications will be accepted. Please remove the medication from its container and dispose directly into a disposal box or into a clear sealable plastic bag. Sponsored by the South Milwaukee Police Department
- Sharps (needles, syringes) Container Collection · The Health Department will be collecting filled sharps containers for disposal. The usual fee is waived. Sharps will need to be in an approved sharps container or covered heavy duty container, such as a Tide® laundry bottle. Sponsored by the South Milwaukee Health Department
- Eyeglass Recycling (used) · Donate glasses and change someone’s life. Sponsored by South Milwaukee Lions Club
- American Flag Collection · Retire our flag with the respect that it is due. The first 30 who bring a retired flag will receive a replacement flag free. Sponsored by CSL Plasma
- Printer Cartridge and Cell Phone Recycling · Donate your empty inkjet and laser printer cartridges and used cell phones.
- Plastic Bag Recycling · Donate grocery store plastic bags and packaging materials. Sponsored by Leos Club
- Can for Human Concerns · Bring your crushed cans or uncrushed cans to recycle, with proceeds going to South Milwaukee Human Concerns. Just drive-thru and we do the rest! Sponsored by the South Milwaukee Lions
June – July: Library Summer Reading Program see www.smlibrary.org
July 4th Celebration 2019 – Activities start at 10 a.m.
Grant Park Picnic Area – #5
★ 10:00 a.m. • Call to colors and National Anthem
★ 10:10 a.m. • Kiddie Parade • Costume • Judging • Kids’ Races with cash prizes!
– Dashes, Crab Race, Hopping Race, Shoe Scramble, Wheelbarrow Race, and Penny Scramble.
– Cash prizes for each age group: Ages 6-8, Ages 9-11, and Ages 12-14
★ 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. • Mayor’s Picnic • Enjoy a complimentary hot dog, popcorn, water, Cracker Jack and ice cream.
★ 1 p.m. • High School Cappella Concert by Delta V and the Pop Rockets
★ Bouncy houses • 10:00 a.m. – 4 p.m.
★ Fireworks show at 9:30 p.m.!
Live music all afternoon and evening!
· 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Chippyhatman and The Cliffside Band
· 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Jon Rouse
· 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Hi/Jack
Back Again in 2019 Milwaukee County Traveling Beer Garden
July 22 – 28, 2019 Heritage Week! More information here.
- Monday, July 22: South Milwaukee Police Department DARE Golf Outing.
- Tuesday, July 23: St. Luke’s United Church of Christ Ice Cream Social.
- Wednesday, July 24: Fire Department Spaghetti Dinner.
- Thursday, July 25: Evening on the Avenue. 4-10 p.m., Milwaukee Avenue. See Heritage Days. South Milwaukee Downtown Market (extended hours) 3-8 p.m.
- July 26 – 28: South Milwaukee Lionsfest. Food, music, games, carnival rides and more! Car Cruise on Friday, Family Day on Sunday. See http://www.smlions.org/
- Saturday, July 27: Heritage Day Parade. 11 a.m.
- Saturday, July 27: Friends of the Mill Pond and Oak Creek Watercourse Duck Race. 2 p.m.
- More activities and dates to be announced soon!
- Trick-or-Treat • October 31, 2019 • 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Turn on your porch light!
- 3-6 p.m. City Hall activities – food, crafts, movies, and visits with Santa, followed by the city tree lighting ceremony.
- 6 p.m. Lighted Christmas Parade, presented by South Milwaukee Lions. 15th Avenue near City Hall.
TBA: South Milwaukee Christmas Market. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. South Milwaukee High School.