J&A Pohl, Inc.
Phase II • Project Awarded:
EK Construction, LLC
Kyle Vandercar, P.E.
414-762-2222, ext. 136
Alternative Downtown Parking Locations:
- 12th Avenue and Milwaukee Avenue
- 11th Avenue and Milwaukee Avenue
- 11th Avenue and Madison Avenue
- 10th Avenue and Madison Avenue (Behind TriCity National Bank)
- South Milwaukee Public Library parking lot
Stay Connected in other ways:
- City Facebook Page (Including a new Milwaukee Avenue Streetscaping Facebook group)
- SM Works App – Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The City of South Milwaukee is moving ahead with a streetscaping project to enhance the look and feel of Milwaukee Avenue. The work will transform our Main Street, with new sidewalks, street lighting, planters, bike racks, trees, traffic signals, benches, and other decorative features. There will also be a limited amount of street repair, and the addition of bicycle lanes to create a spur of the Oak Leaf Trail through downtown.
- Removal of existing banner poles and footings.
- WE Energies removal of existing lighting and installation of new conduit and lighting.
- Install storm sewer and inlets at 9th & Milwaukee intersection.
- Remove and replace area of designated curb and gutter, and install curb for new curb ramps, new curb on west side of 9th, south of Milwaukee Avenue. (Angle parking removed.)
- Remove and replace areas of designated curb and concrete pavement. Install new curb ramps at specified intersections.
- Install temporary traffic signals at 10th and Milwaukee intersection, remove existing traffic signal and install new equipment.
- Modification of traffic signals at the intersection of Milwaukee Avenue to 13th Avenue to remove and install new signal heads and poles (to replace banner poles).
- Install pavement markings for new signals and crosswalks, and bike lane on each side.
Phase 2 in 2020 will include:
- Sidewalk and concrete replacement between back of curb and buildings with 4 ft. wide terrace area (2′ x 2′) picture frame concrete and 16″ paver band at street trees.
- Structural soil, non-pressurized irrigation system (fill pipe), and street trees installed.
- Install streetscaping amenities (planters, benches, bike racks)