Address: 2424 15th Avenue • Phone Numbers: (414) 762-2222, ext. 140
or (414) 768-8054
Fax Number: (414) 768-8068
Inspector Steve Petery
Office Hour: 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m., or by appointment
To access Inspection Department Permits, click here.
Building permits are required for the following new construction and alterations:
Finished Basements/Rec Rooms/Lower Level Improvements
Increasing window size
All New Construction-Residential and Commercial
Permits may require a two-week review period. Plans, specifications, and a plat of survey may be required. Triple permit fees shall be charged if work is started prior to department approval.
Any property owner may personally install electrical wiring in a single family residence or accessory building which he has legally owned and occupied for a period of at least thirty days.
No person, firm, or corporation, with the exception above, shall engage in the business of performing electrical work for others in the City of South Milwaukee unless such person, firm, or corporation has a valid Master Electrician’s License and a valid State of Wisconsin electrical contractor’s license.
Permits shall be required for all electrical work, except that no permit shall be required for:
- Minor repair work, such as: repairing switches, replacing fuses, repairing receptacles or drop cords.
- Repair work required for proper maintenance of an existing installation.
- Alterations or extension to an existing installation, not exceeding five outlets nor one thousand watts, provided that the alteration or extension is performed by a licensed individual.
- The electrical work in the assembly or fabrication of manufactured goods, or on electrical testing equipment used in such assembly or fabrication, provided the manufacturer employs a competent electrician.
- Emergency work, but such work shall be reported to the Electrical Inspector immediately after it is started.
- Electrical work on portable or plug-in type electrical equipment or system that is not part of a permanent wiring system, and provided that any such work on a circuit exceeding one thousand watts is preformed by a licensed individual.
No plumbing work shall be performed in the City of South Milwaukee unless a permit for such work has been issued to a licensed master plumber, or to a property owner for work to be done by him/her in a single family building owned and occupied by him/her, except that no permit shall be required for:
- Minor repair work required for proper maintenance of an existing installation.
- Removing stoppages, provided such removal does not entail dismantling the existing installation.
- Emergency work, however, such work shall be reported to the Plumbing Inspector immediately after started.
Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
No HVAC work shall be performed within the City of South Milwaukee unless a permit has been issued to a licensed HVAC Contractor or to the property owner by the Inspection Department. Permits are required for the following new construction, modifications or replacements (commercial or residential):
- Installation of furnaces or boilers (gas, oil, or alternative fuel sources)
- Installations of air conditioning units
- Fireplaces and wood burning stoves
- HVAC distribution systems (ductwork)
- Commercial/Industrial exhaust hoods and systems