City of South Milwaukee – Treasurer’s Office
P.O. Box 367
2424 15th Avenue
South Milwaukee, WI 53172
Phone: (414) 762-2222 or (414) 768-8048
To view or print your bill, print your receipt, or to see if your escrow payment has been processed, click here:
***Payment information is updated as soon as it is processed.***
2017 Treasurer’s Office Hours
The Treasurer’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Exceptions: December 22 and 25, January 1 – Closed
Note: The last day to pay at City Hall in 2017 is December 29th!
General Information – Tax Payments
The property tax bill consists of tax levies from four independent taxing agencies:
The Common Council generally sets the city’s levy in early December. The city portion of the tax bill is the ONLY portion of the tax bill controlled by the Common Council. The remaining three taxing agencies set their own levies and send certification of their levies to the City of South Milwaukee for placement on the combined tax bill in accordance with state law. Questions regarding the tax levies from the remaining three taxing agencies must be directed directly to those agencies.
Address Changes/Ownership Changes
Tax bills do not forward.
If you will be temporarily away in December and would like your tax bill forwarded to an alternate address, please notify the Treasurer’s Office before December 1.
If you have moved, but still own a South Milwaukee property, or if you are a new owner, contact our Assessor’s office at (414) 768-8052 before December 1 to make sure current information is on file so you receive your tax bill.
If you received a tax bill for a property that you sold, please forward it to the new owner or return the bill to the City Treasurer’s office.
Payments by Mail or 24-Hour Depository Box:
* Include BOTH copies of the tax bill
* Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for a mailed receipt
* Include your telephone number in case of questions
* Make check payable to: City of South Milwaukee
* Be sure all escrow checks are properly endorsed
24-Hour Depository Box: The depository box is located on the wall of City Hall facing 15th Avenue, just north of the main doors. Avoid waiting in a long line and deposit your payment (checks only – no cash) anytime during regular business hours or after the office is closed. The box is opened and emptied daily, Monday through Friday.
**For 2017 credit for income tax purposes, tax payments must be deposited in box on or before December 31, 2017.**
Mailed Payments: To be considered timely, payment must be received or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service on or before the tax installment due date.
Mail tax payments to:
City of South Milwaukee
P.O. Box 367
South Milwaukee,WI 53172
Payments at City Hall:
The Treasurer’s office is open Monday – Friday from 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. with the exception of holidays.
▪ Bring BOTH copies of the tax bill with you. One copy is retained by the City Treasurer’s office and one copy will be receipted and returned to you for your records.
▪ Please have all checks made out ahead of time to help keep the lines moving.
▪ Make check payable to: City of South Milwaukee.
▪ If your escrow check exceeds the taxes due, a refund check will be mailed to you in approximately two to three weeks. For an immediate refund by check, you may pay your taxes at Tri-City National Bank in South Milwaukee, or contact your mortgage company to see if they will reissue your payment as two separate checks – one to the City of South Milwaukee for the total taxes due, and one to you for the difference.
▪ PLEASE NOTE: We do NOT accept payment by debit or credit card at City Hall. You must use the services of Official Payments Corporation to pay with a card (see below).
Payments by CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD ONLINE or BY TELEPHONE ONLY:
Tax payments may be made using your VISA, MasterCard or Discover credit card, Visa or MasterCard debit card, or e-Check through Official Payments Corporation (OPC). A convenience fee is charged to you by OPC for using this service, based on the amount of the transaction. Call 1-800-272-9829 (1-800-2PAYTAX) or visit www.officialpayments.com and enter jurisdiction code 5842.
Official Payments Corporation will provide the total fee amount to be charged prior to your acceptance of the transaction, along with a confirmation number when the transaction is completed.
Payments at the South Milwaukee offices of Tri-City National Bank through January 31 only:
¤ The tax bill must be PAID IN FULL (No installments or partial payments)
¤ You must bring both copies of the tax bill with you in order to pay at the bank.
¤ A refund check will be issued by Tri-City National Bank at the time of payment for escrow checks that exceed the taxes due.
Tri-City South Milwaukee Office Locations:
▪ Tri-City National Bank – 2115 10th Avenue
▪ Tri-City National Bank (Inside Pick ‘n Save) – 2901 S. Chicago Avenue
Payments at the South Milwaukee office of BMO-Harris Bank through January 31 only:
▪ The tax payment must be for the EXACT amount of the tax bill – NO REFUNDS for escrow overpayments per bank’s policy.
▪ You must bring both copies of the tax bill with you in order to pay at the bank.
BMO-Harris South Milwaukee Office Location:
▪ BMO Harris Bank – 1001 Marquette Avenue
Personal Checks / Cashier’s Check / Money Order / Cash:
▪ Write your parcel number on your check and include your phone number in case of questions regarding your payment.
▪ Do not postdate personal checks. Checks are processed on the date we receive them.
▪ Make sure that both the numeric and written amounts on your check agree. The legal amount on a check is the WRITTEN amount, which is what the bank processes the check for. If incorrect, your payment could be short and cause taxes to go delinquent.
▪ Make check payable to: City of South Milwaukee.
▪ Credit and debit cards are NOT accepted at City Hall due to the fees incurred. You must use the services of Official Payments Corporation (OPC) to pay your taxes with a credit or debit card. Go to www.officialpayments.com or call 1-800-272-9829 (see Ways to Pay Your Tax Bill above).
▪ Do not combine your check for tax payment with any other payment.
▪ Third party checks are not accepted, with the exception of escrow checks specifically for the payment of property taxes.
Escrow Checks (checks received from mortgage companies):
▪ If your escrow check is more than the amount of the tax bill, a refund check will be mailed to you within approximately two to three weeks.
▪ Checks payable to two or more taxpayers whose names are separated by an “and” require ALL signatures. Be sure your escrow check is properly endorsed. If a signature is missing, the check will be returned to you for proper endorsement causing delay in processing and possible delinquency of tax bill.
▪ The full amount of the escrow check must be applied to the tax bill; you cannot pay just the first installment and receive a refund.
▪ The date of payment from escrow accounts (December or January) is determined by the agreement that you have with your financial institution. Questions regarding when your escrow check is mailed should be directed to your financial institution.
▪ Some mortgage companies use third party payers to process their escrow payments before sending them to the City. Because of this, there may be a significant delay from the date the funds are debited from your escrow account to the time that the City receives the payment for processing. All escrow payments are processed on the date we receive them. Payments will be reflected on our website in “real time.” Please check the website to find out if your payment has been processed.
▪ There is a $25.00 fee for all returned checks. In addition, the tax payment will be void and interest and penalty will be assessed unless a replacement payment plus the returned check fee is received prior to the tax due date.
Tax Bill Due Dates
View your tax bill at www.smwi.org/taxes/. Tax bills will be mailed to property owners by the 3rd Monday in December. As soon as the bills are printed they will be posted online for you to access.
REAL ESTATE TAXES
The City of South Milwaukee offers two options for payment of your real estate taxes:
Option 1 – Full Payment Option
Full payment of the real estate taxes plus special assessments, special charges and delinquent utility amounts, if any, are due on or before January 31.
Option 2 – Installment Option (Refer to Tax Bill)
Please Note: Reminder notices are NOT mailed – the tax bill is the only bill you will receive. Mark your calendar with the tax installment due dates:
|▪ First Installment – January 31
▪ Second Installment – April 30
▪ Third (Final) Installment – July 31
The installment amounts are printed on the tax bill. Each installment amount must be paid on or before its required due date. Special charges, special assessments, and delinquent utility amounts are not eligible for the installment plan and are due January 31.
If January 31, April 30, or July 31 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, payment will be considered timely if made on the following business day.
PERSONAL PROPERTY TAXES – Personal property taxes (taxes for a business) are due on or before January 31.
INTEREST CHARGED ON DELINQUENT TAXES
The first time that an installment due date is missed or an installment amount is underpaid, the tax bill becomes delinquent and the installment option is forfeited. All delinquent taxes require an interest and penalty payment of 1.5% per month (fraction of a month counts as a whole month) on the total unpaid balance of the tax bill retroactive to February 1 until paid.
Delinquent real estate taxes are collected by the City of South Milwaukee for the current tax year through July 31. After July 31, delinquent real estate taxes must be paid to the Milwaukee County Treasurer, 901 N. 9th Street, Courthouse – Room 102, Milwaukee, WI 53233. Call (414) 278-4033 or go to http://county.milwaukee.gov for more information.
Delinquent personal property taxes (taxes for a business) continue to be paid directly to the City of South Milwaukee.
Lottery & Gaming Credit (Located in the middle of your tax bill):
If you did not receive a Lottery & Gaming Credit on your tax bill and you are eligible (see requirements below), you have until January 31 to file an application with the City Treasurer’s Office. If your tax bill includes a Lottery & Gaming Credit and you do not qualify for the credit, you need to complete the Lottery & Gaming Credit Removal Request form and pay the additional amount due.
1) You must have been the owner of the property on January 1 of the year in which the property taxes are levied and you must have used the property as your PRIMARY residence. Primary residence is where you live most of the time. You can only have one primary residence. The credit cannot be claimed on business property, rental properties, land or other properties that are not your primary residence.
2) If the home was purchased after January 1, the new owner must attest that to the best of his/her knowledge the former owner used the property as their primary residence as of January 1.
3) After January 31, a late credit may be claimed with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue prior to October 1.
If you are eligible for the credit and it is not on your tax bill, print the form here:
|2017 Lottery and Gaming Credit Application|
The Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Disposal fees for the 2017 tax year are as follows:
> Single Family – $62.60
> Duplex – $125.20
> Triplex – $187.80
> Fourplex – $250.40
Multiple family dwellings of five units or more are required to provide and pay for their own recycling services. The Household Hazardous Waste Disposal fee for multiple family dwellings with five or more units is set by separate resolution adopted by the Common Council.
Questions regarding the Recycling or HHW fee should be directed to the Street Department at (414) 768-8075 during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 7:00 A.M. – 3:30 P.M.
The Storm Water Utility fee for the current tax year is as follows:
> Single Family – $72.00
> Duplex – $72.00
For multi-family or commercial properties the fee is based on measured impervious area.
Questions regarding the Storm Water Utility fee should be directed to the Engineering Department at (414) 768-8053.
Delinquent Water/Sewer bills not paid by November 15th will be added to your tax bill. Contact the South Milwaukee Water Utility at (414) 768-8070, Monday – Friday from 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M., for more detailed information.
Other Contact Numbers:
Questions regarding the assessed value of your property should be directed to the Assessor’s Office at (414) 768-8052.
Questions regarding the Commercial Trash Collection fee on your tax bill, if applicable, should be directed to the Street Department at (414) 768-8075.
Questions regarding the Fire Inspection fee on your tax bill, if applicable, should be directed to the Fire Inspector at (414) 768-5724.
For prior year delinquent real estate tax information, contact the Milwaukee County Treasurer’s office at (414) 278-4033 or go to http://county.milwaukee.gov/CountyTreasurer.
Wisconsin State Statutes, Section 174 makes it mandatory for pets to be licensed.
The City of South Milwaukee requires a license for dogs and cats over five months of age. You can license your pet online; by mail or at the South Milwaukee’s Treasurer’s Office (see options below). Residents must provide a current certificate of rabies vaccination (showing the tag number and the expiration date) at the time of licensing. The license year commences January 1 and ends December 31. Beginning April 1, a late fee will be assessed except for:
Dog and Cat Licensing Fees
|Male or Female Dog /Cat Fee||
Dog /Cat Fee
New Residents and New Pet Owners:
- A new resident who owns a dog or cat over five months of age, and who licenses such pet within 30 days of residency or;
- A resident who obtains a dog or cat on or after April 1st, and who licenses such pet within 30 days or;
- A resident who owns a dog or cat that is not five months of age on or before March 31st, and who licenses such pet within 30 days from the date in which it reaches five months of age.
If you licensed your pet on or before October 1 you should receive a renewal postcard from the Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission (MADACC) in December or January. You may not receive a renewal postcard from MADACC if you licensed your pet on or after November 1.
Whether or not you receive a renewal postcard from MADACC, it is your responsibility to renew the license for your pet on or before March 31.
Maximum Number of Dogs/Cats:
The City of South Milwaukee limits the number of dogs and cats a pet owner may have. A maximum of three (3) pets is allowed to be kept upon any premise.
Licensing and Payment Options:
- ONLINE, with a credit card on the MADACC website at http://www.madacc.org/
BY MAIL, to Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission, 3839 W. Burnham St., West Milwaukee, WI 53215. Include the postcard (for renewals), current certificate of rabies vaccination (will be returned with license) and check, made payable to MADACC. Call (414) 649-8640 or go to the MADACC website here for more information.
- AT CITY HALL, mail or bring the postcard (for renewals) and current certificate of rabies vaccination if not listed on postcard (will be returned with license if mailed) to 2424 15th Ave, P.O. Box 367, South Milwaukee, WI 53172. Checks must be separate from all other payments and made payable to City of South Milwaukee. Payment may not be made by debit or credit card at City Hall.
***FOR BILLING QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL THE SOUTH MILWAUKEE WATER UTILITY AT
(414) 768-8070 MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY, 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.***
Water and Sewer bills are issued tri-annually by the South Milwaukee Water Utility
Payment is due by the 20th of the billing month. If the 20th falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday and City Hall is closed, your payment will be considered timely if paid on the following business day.
Please make checks payable to: South Milwaukee Water Utility
Do NOT postdate checks. Payments are processed on the day we receive them.
Water/Sewer Payments by Mail or 24-Hour Depository Box:
Mail payments to:
South Milwaukee Water Utility
South Milwaukee, WI 53172
The 24-Hour depository box is located along the wall of City Hall facing 15th Avenue, just north of the main doors.
Please make sure all checks are signed. The depository box is checked every morning, Monday through Friday, for payments.
|Payments in person:
South Milwaukee Treasurer’s Office
Tri-City National Bank – 2115 10thAvenue
Tri-City National Bank – (Inside Pick ‘n Save) – 2901 S. Chicago Avenue